Definition of ogee in English:
Having a double continuous S-shaped curve.
- From a high central half-round, the skirt descends along cyma or ogee curves to cusps that set off shallow arches with small half-rounds in the middle.
- During the late 1780s, Chapin's shop gradually shifted from cabriole-legged case furniture to forms with oxbow facades and ogee feet.
- Despite its late date, the conservative display of raised-panel doors, applied ogee moldings, and a scalloped opening to the display area are all borrowed from eighteenth-century design.
nounBack to top
An S-shaped line or molding.
- Of the 286 planes, the majority, were simple moldings like common ogees, astragals, beads, hollows and rounds.
- Of Near Eastern inspiration are the arabesques, ogees, scrolls, and flower heads outlined in raised gold paste.
- Only the fronts of the legs are decorated with a molding of opposed ogees separated by a bead interrupted by clusters of three carved balls.
Late Middle English: apparently from ogive (with which it was originally synonymous). The current sense arose in the late 17th century.
Words that rhyme with ogeeFuji
Definition of ogee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan