A widely cultivated tropical West African palm tree that is the chief source of palm oil.
- Elaeis guineensis, family Palmae: several cultivars
More example sentences
- The minority view is supported by the fact that almost all the coconut palm's relations are American, the one important exception being the oil palm, which is African.
- Popular drinks include palm wine, made from the fermented sap of the oil palm, and home-brewed millet beer.
- Undoubtedly because of its multifunctionality, the oil palm and its bunches of palm nuts are a recurring feature in Akan royal arts.
Definition of oil palm in:
- The British & World English dictionary