noun (plural same or okapis)
- A large browsing mammal of the giraffe family that lives in the rain forests of the northern Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire). It has a dark chestnut coat with stripes on the hindquarters and upper legs.
More example sentences
- Okapia johnstoni, family Giraffidae
- This family includes only two living species, the giraffe and the okapi.
- Important studies on elephants, gorillas, chimpanzees and rare and elusive ungulates such as the okapi and duiker have been ongoing for decades.
- In the groves of Africa from their natural wonder the wildebeest, zebra, the okapi, the elephant, have entered the marvelous.
early 20th century: a local word.
More definitions of okapiDefinition of okapi in:
- The British & World English dictionary