Definition of oleaginous in English:
1Rich in, covered with, or producing oil; oily or greasy.
- And who can forget those 60s ads where merry bands of nymphomaniacs roamed the streets seeking the tell-tale oleaginous glint of a man who had just applied Brylcreem - ‘Use more only if you dare!’
- The egg was like no egg I have ever seen: it had the appearance of a oleaginous floppy styrofoam sheet folded twice over into a perfect square.
- In the space of a few short months, humanity has roused itself from the recurring nightmare of history - of bulldozer violence forever powered by oleaginous lies - and has flung open the curtains to let in the light.
2Exaggeratedly and distastefully complimentary; obsequious: candidates made the usual oleaginous speeches in the debate
More example sentences
- ‘My dears,’ he crooned, in a soft, oleaginous tone, ‘I want you to come with me tomorrow on an ocean adventure.’
- It is fitting that the oleaginous politicians who so wrapped themselves in the expected glory of this purposeless structure have seen their carefully crafted images begin to fade as quickly as their Dome's delights.
- Unsurprisingly, our oleaginous Prime Minister, after striving to weaken protection for British workers on his last Euro-adventure, is in the vanguard of this movement.
Words that rhyme with oleaginouscartilaginous, farraginous
Definition of oleaginous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan