- A synthetic cooking oil used as a calorie-free fat substitute in various foods.More example sentences
- A new type of polyester, tradenamed Olestra, is marketed to snack-food producers as a fat substitute that is not absorbed by the body.
- I had seen a similar registry on the Web site of the Center for Science in the Public Interest for people who believed that consuming the fat substitute Olestra had caused them some type of health problem.
- You remember Olestra, the fat substitute that mimicked the creamy taste and silky-smooth feel of real fat but that wouldn't make you fat.
1980s: from (p)ol(y)est(e)r + the suffix -a.
More definitions of olestraDefinition of olestra in:
- The British & World English dictionary