Definition of oligarch in English:
1A ruler in an oligarchy.
- The sense of individual identity of the oligarch is entirely located in the social structure of the oligarchy itself.
- These cities were ruled by oligarchs who enjoyed the backing of the Roman authorities.
- Kings and oligarchs are playing their last card: we can prevent their game.
2(Especially in Russia) a very rich businessman with a great deal of political influence.
- We are starting to win back our country from the media, the oligarchs, the corrupt politicians.
- The dictatorship of transnational corporations, ruled by financial oligarchs, must be ended.
- By making their fortunes on the backs of common Russians, the oligarchs themselves are a pretty unsympathetic lot.
Late 19th century: from Greek oligarkhēs, from oligoi 'few' + arkhein 'to rule'.
Words that rhyme with oligarchOffenbach • ironbark
Definition of oligarch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.