- Relating to or denoting each of the pair of oval bodies of nerve tissue on the medulla oblongata of the brain.More example sentences
- Dorsal to the olivary nuclei is the extensive reticular formation of the medulla, composed of diffusely disposed neurons interspersed by ascending and descending myelinated axons belonging to a variety of pathways.
- In the medulla, note the elongated gray olivary nucleus, with its slit-like hilus, directed dorsomedially.
- At the medullary level, the medial lemniscus (which contains the 2nd neuron axons in the pathway for proprioceptive and tactile sensations) is found dorsal to the pyramidal tract and medial to the olivary nucleus.
late Middle English: from Latin olivarius 'relating to olives', from oliva (see olive).
More definitions of olivaryDefinition of olivary in:
- The British & World English dictionary