noun (plural ombudsmen)
- An official appointed to investigate individuals' complaints against maladministration, especially that of public authorities.More example sentences
- These failures in human communication feature in many of the complaints investigated by the ombudsman's office.
- To tackle the issue, Wang requested that the city government recruited more consumer ombudsmen to investigate such cases, noting that Taipei has only one consumer ombudsman, while Taipei County has three.
- Last year, the number of complaints to the pensions ombudsman increased by a third.
1950s: from Swedish, 'legal representative'.
More definitions of ombudsmanDefinition of ombudsman in:
- The British & World English dictionary