1 On or in a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.
- After a quick assessment he was taken on board the aircraft.
- Mr Kelly said the 770 passengers on board the ship were preparing to disembark.
- Christopher Columbus reputedly chanced upon hammocks in Haiti and sailors were soon slumbering in them on board ship.
1.1 informal Onto a team or group as a member: the need to bring on board a young manager
More example sentences
- After the company took over, how was the new management team brought on board?
- Two prominent dating experts have been brought on board to assist members in their search.
- We have an exceptional team on board with over two dozen national and international advertising awards between them.
1.2 informal (Of a jockey) riding.
- They had two winners but neither had usual stable jockey McCoy on board.
- Champion jockey Tony McCoy, on board Best Mate, finished in second while Bacchanal took third.
- Etherington has booked Paul Fessey to ride Evening Press, the same jockey who was on board last time she ran.
1Available or situated on a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.
- Visitors will be able to sample what life was like for sailors in the 18th century with on-board displays until the ship sets sail again on June 14.
- This week, engineers shut down one of the three on-board gyroscopes, leaving the telescope to operate on only two.
- Military pilots manage complex on-board systems and have limited ability to watch for civilian traffic.
2 Computing Denoting or controlled from a facility or feature incorporated into the main circuit board of a computer or computerized device.
- However, Mariner 9 was the first craft to carry an on-board computer allowing mission control to reload new instructions.
- Each end-user receives a token, a USB-based device and some on-board software.
- So why should one buy a dedicated sound card if on-board solutions provide satisfactory features?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan