1 On or in a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.
- After a quick assessment he was taken on board the aircraft.
- Mr Kelly said the 770 passengers on board the ship were preparing to disembark.
- Christopher Columbus reputedly chanced upon hammocks in Haiti and sailors were soon slumbering in them on board ship.
1.1 informal Onto a team or group as a member: the need to bring on board a young manager
More example sentences
- After the company took over, how was the new management team brought on board?
- Two prominent dating experts have been brought on board to assist members in their search.
- We have an exceptional team on board with over two dozen national and international advertising awards between them.
1.2 informal (Of a jockey) riding.
- They had two winners but neither had usual stable jockey McCoy on board.
- Champion jockey Tony McCoy, on board Best Mate, finished in second while Bacchanal took third.
- Etherington has booked Paul Fessey to ride Evening Press, the same jockey who was on board last time she ran.
1Available or situated on a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.
- Visitors will be able to sample what life was like for sailors in the 18th century with on-board displays until the ship sets sail again on June 14.
- This week, engineers shut down one of the three on-board gyroscopes, leaving the telescope to operate on only two.
- Military pilots manage complex on-board systems and have limited ability to watch for civilian traffic.
2 Computing Denoting or controlled from a facility or feature incorporated into the main circuit board of a computer or computerized device.
- However, Mariner 9 was the first craft to carry an on-board computer allowing mission control to reload new instructions.
- Each end-user receives a token, a USB-based device and some on-board software.
- So why should one buy a dedicated sound card if on-board solutions provide satisfactory features?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.