Definition of on fire in English:
1In flames; burning.
- The intrepid dad ran outside to find his van was on fire and flames were spreading to the front of his home.
- A terraced house was on fire, with smoke and flames pouring from the ground and first floor windows.
- A log in that unsightly pile writhed as if it were already on fire, though the flames had not quite reached it.
1.1In a state of excitement: Wright is now on fire with confidence
More example sentences
- The troupe was literally on fire, as they turned, swayed and bent showing amazing skills.
- The crowd was literally on fire, as couples jived as if there was no tomorrow.
- After a poor performance in Cork the previous weekend the home side were always going to come out on fire.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan