- technical term for river blindness.More example sentences
- He wanted to know what was wrong with the six-year-old girl with opaque corneas (probably from the highly prevalent infection onchocerciasis causing ‘river blindness’).
- Onchocerciasis eliminated from west Africa: Officials from the World Health Organization last week celebrated the elimination of onchocerciasis, or river blindness, as a public health threat in west Africa.
- Both onchocerciasis and malaria were given global priority for eradication, with global, regional, and national commitment in the form of political backing and financial and technical resources.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Onchocerca (from Greek onkos 'barb' + kerkos 'tail') + -iasis.
More definitions of onchocerciasisDefinition of onchocerciasis in:
- The British & World English dictionary