1Moving or allowing movement in one direction only: a one-way valve
More example sentences
- This means that coffee should be packed in an airtight foil laminated bag with a one-way air valve to allow the bag to de-gas.
- Tension pneumothorax occurs when pleural damage results in a one-way valve phenomenon allowing air to enter, but not exit, the pleural space.
- At the beginning of expiration, you tum the valve creating a one-way valve that only allows expiratory airflow.
1.1(Of a road or system of roads) along which traffic may pass in one direction only.
- Off to the west is what was once Legion Avenue, where steady streams of cars and trucks barrel in from the suburbs or head out to them along twin one-way roads given over entirely to traffic.
- It includes a signposted route along Sim Balk Lane and a one-way system along Campleshon Road and Knavesmire Road which was starting earlier than for Ascot.
- New Town's ward councillors are now surveying residents to get their views on a one-way system along both Harsnett Road and the neighbouring Morant Road.
1.2(Of a ticket) allowing a person to travel to a place but not back again.
- And she said insult was added to injury when the company tried to make amends by sending her a single one-way travel voucher without a return ticket.
- According to Adams, the 14 men traveled on Northwest Airlines flight #327 using one-way tickets.
- Because of wrong information 49-year-old Jim had been given in the US, she didn't realise her one-way ticket would cause so much trouble.
1.3(Of glass or a mirror) seen as a mirror from one side but transparent from the other.
- Prior to testing, stimulus males were kept for some days in aquaria with a one-way mirror on one side to acclimatize them with their reflected image.
- A number of descriptions of a transparent press had a one-way mirror feel to them: We editors will explain to you readers what we think you should know about us.
- Much to the enjoyment of the no-longer-bored guard on the other side of the one-way mirror, Mike and Martina share a deep, passionate kiss.
1.4Denoting a relationship in which all the action or contribution of a particular kind comes from only one member: interaction between the organism and the environment is not a one-way process
More example sentences
- With Washington's latest move in regard to Libya, it would be understandable if many Bulgarians believed that the relationship is somewhat one-way.
- It will reinforce the idea that this is a bit of a one-way relationship.
- On the Web, those kinds of one-way relationships come down a notch.
Definition of one-way in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.