- A dome that bulges in the middle and rises to a point, used especially in Russian church architecture.More example sentences
- The onion dome is sheathed in copper and has a rimu interior, and along with the wrought iron walls was built by the Christchurch firm, Veronese Brothers.
- However, it is pretty to look at with set and costumes echoing the Olivier film of Henry V apart from possibly the earliest onion dome in western Europe, and has a soundtrack which plays a quite important part.
- The 19 th-century Palais Massena is also well worth a visit, as is the Russian Orthodox St Nicolas Cathedral, with its onion domes, one of the city's most distinctive landmarks.
- More example sentences
- It is Sunday, I am in the onion-domed Alexander Nevski cathedral in Tallinn in Estonia, and I happen upon a Russian Orthodox ‘Adoration of the Eucharist’ - a spiritual experience never to be surpassed.
- The gleaming, onion-domed Saint Nicholas' Cathedral on boulevard Tsarevitch has to be one of Nice's biggest surprises, surrounded as it is by typically French mid-rise apartment complexes.
- The onion-domed Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church is one of Kodiak's landmarks.
More definitions of onion domeDefinition of onion dome in:
- The British & World English dictionary