- Of or relating to the study of the history and origin of proper names.More example sentences
- But Scalito is a different kind of onomastic blend: an epithet combining elements of two names to suggest a resemblance of one named person to the other.
- One of the reasons for this lack of interest may be due to the often static and fixed conception of names: many onomastic studies do not allow for name changes.
- The onomastic problem of personal and place-names (are Manchester, Manila, and Manitoba, etc., to be counted as words simply because they appear in texts?).
late 16th century (as a noun in the sense 'alphabetical list of proper nouns', later also 'lexicographer'): from Greek onomastikos, from onoma 'name'. The adjective dates from the early 18th century.
More definitions of onomasticDefinition of onomastic in:
- The British & World English dictionary