Definition of onshore in English:
1Situated or occurring on land: [as adjective]: an onshore oil field
More example sentences
- The famous old onshore oil fields around Baku, which in the early twentieth century produced half of the entire world oil production, are now exhausted, and new deposits have not been found.
- Service contracts have been awarded for eight marginal onshore oil fields, with development beginning in 2004-05.
- The mallu guy of course is almost always in the gulf working alone on some onshore oil rig in the desert.
1.1(Especially of the direction of the wind) from the sea toward the land.
- Making an about-face at the command of onshore winds, the firestorm then returned toward its point of origin in the mountains.
- Strong onshore winds can produce sightings of sea-birds during cold weather including petrels and sea-ducks.
- Anytime there is strong onshore wind or swell, an otherwise safe inlet could be dangerous.
verb[with object] Back to top
(Of a company) transfer (a business operation that was moved overseas) back to the country from which it was originally relocated: the case study showed improvement in many key areas once the company decided to onshore its call center activity
More example sentences
- If they onshored their tablet production, it would create thousands of US manufacturing jobs.
- Whether highly skilled service tasks are offshored or onshored in a specific country, with concomitant pressures on incomes, will depend on that country's comparative advantage.
- As more of the manufacturing gets onshored, the share of machinery imports has been gradually declining.
Words that rhyme with onshoreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
Definition of onshore in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan