(also oompah-pah) informal
Definition of oompah in English:
Used to refer to the rhythmical sound of deep-toned brass instruments in a band.
- She was accompanied by a band that played oompah music, on a tiny stage, with the smell of fried potatoes wafting in from the kitchen.
- Southampton's city centre could echo to the sounds of oompah bands and smell of sizzling bratwurst and schnitzels this Christmas.
- In Town Hall Square there will be a dramatic feel to things, with performances from Keighley Amateurs and HYT, plus music from a Bavarian oompah band.
verb (oompahs, oompahing, oompahed)[no object] Back to top
Make an ‘oompah’.
- At first it sounds like a silly song; it oompahs along like a jittery ‘Li'l Rascals’ tune, but modern ears don't easily hear everything that's going on.
Late 19th century: imitative.
Words that rhyme with oompahgrandpa • feldspar
Definition of oompah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan