- A large deep-bodied fish with a deep blue back, silvery belly, and crimson fins, living in deep oceanic waters. Also called moonfish.
More example sentences
- Lampris guttatus, family Lampridae
- One fish I wish I could see with my own eyes is the brilliant opah, or moonfish.
- Menu concoctions include opah (moon fish) caught along the Kohala Coast, salmon, and seaweed grown at the Big Island's Natural Energy Lab.
- The opah, despite being toothless, and of majestic build, pursues and eats other fish and squid.
mid 18th century: a West African word.
More definitions of opahDefinition of opah in:
- The British & World English dictionary