Definition of opah in English:
A large deep-bodied fish with a deep blue back, silvery belly, and crimson fins, living in deep oceanic waters. Also called moonfish.
- Lampris guttatus, family Lampridae
- One fish I wish I could see with my own eyes is the brilliant opah, or moonfish.
- Menu concoctions include opah (moon fish) caught along the Kohala Coast, salmon, and seaweed grown at the Big Island's Natural Energy Lab.
- The opah, despite being toothless, and of majestic build, pursues and eats other fish and squid.
mid 18th century: a West African word.
Definition of opah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan