noun(usually the open sea)
- An expanse of sea away from land.More example sentences
- Mankind is drawn to the heavens for the same reason we were once drawn into unknown lands and across the open sea.
- During that year divers regularly encountered large groups of rays in a channel leading from the open sea into Yap's lagoon.
- Shore leave is restricted, but the tedium is relieved every three weeks or so when she heads out to the open sea to make fresh water, giving the ship's company a break from the heat and mosquitoes.
More definitions of open seaDefinition of open sea in:
- The British & World English dictionary