1 Computing A system in which the components and protocols conform to standards independent of a particular supplier.
- One of these facility executives has taken a close look at open systems based on standard protocols and is concerned about the need to develop extremely precise specifications.
- Storage pooling can be used to provide storage capacity to both open systems and mainframe computers even though the data structure is considerably different for both machines.
- What is being done today to bridge the data gap between open systems and mainframe storage?
2 Physics A material system in which mass or energy can be lost to or gained from the environment.
- All natural ecosystems are open systems where energy and matter are transferred in and out through the complex interactions of energy, water, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur, and other cycles.
- The biosphere is a basically closed system in terms of matter but an open system in terms of energy.
- This is when I introduced the idea of ‘dissipative structures,’ which arise in open systems, exchanging energy and matter with the outside world when driven far from equilibrium.
Definition of open system in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.