- 1 [usually with modifier] A device for opening something, especially a container: a bottle opener a letter openerMore example sentences
- The Northern Star Literary Award, a hand-crafted pen, pencil and letter opener in a box of North Coast red cedar, will also be awarded for best entry overall.
- Airports have brought in increasingly stringent security checks, and are confiscating everything from nail files and bottle openers to knitting needles and knives.
- My family has a picnic kit which includes knife, bottle opener, ‘cool bag’ and plastic plates and cups to make meals on beaches that bit nicer!
- 2The first of a series of games, cultural events, etc.: the league opener is three weeks awayMore example sentences
- Going into the Craftsman Truck Series opener on Valentine's Day at Daytona, it looked like rookie Randy Briggs would be the biggest winner.
- At Firebird, the Nevada native defeated Las Vegas rider Leo Shaver in the Pacific Division's series opener.
- Tucker made another visit there the night before Toronto's playoff series opener against Ottawa.
- 2.1The first point or points scored in a sports event.More example sentences
- Glasgow's Steven Duffy scores his side's opener against Sonians at Anniesland to take Hawks a step closer to the league title and maintaining unbeaten record.
- The visitors' back-four dealt with anything the home forwards could produce, and it was no surprise when captain Michael Barker scored Hearts' opener.
- Noble assisted on Maher's opener, and then scored off a Maher assist.
- 2.2A remark used as an excuse to initiate a conversation: we blurted out the obvious openerMore example sentences
- My store of conversational openers seems thoroughly inadequate to the task.
- Sitting down beside him, Brenna wracked her brain for a conversation opener.
- My response to his question was sort of a conversation opener and an ender.
- • informal To start with; first of all: for openers, the car is roomier than the old modelMore example sentences
- I think for openers, the president and the vice president ought to put the records out in terms of what they have done and not done as it relates to corporate wrongdoing.
- A silly subterfuge, I know, but it's the best I can do for openers.
- Here, for openers, are the transcripts of what Naughton's had to say on his program.
More definitions of openerDefinition of opener in:
- The British & World English dictionary