1Relating to or characteristic of opera: operatic arias
More example sentences
- The concert includes Mozart's Requiem, Missa Brevis, operatic arias and music for the Christmas season.
- Songs, arias, and operatic scenes are mixed together, and that works well too.
- Italian solo cantatas of the late 17th and early 18th centuries contained arias on the operatic model.
1.1Extravagantly theatrical; overly dramatic: she wrung her hands in operatic despair
More example sentences
- There is a mastery at work that elevates it from yet another crime caper to something almost operatic in scope.
- His tempos were admirably unhurried - allowing the music to soar with almost operatic passion.
- While operatic in scale, everything in Anderson's screenplay has a natural ebb and flow to it.
- Example sentences
- We started discussing ideas from public life, government - things that I thought weren't very inspiring operatically.
- Appropriately enough, the production goes operatically awry.
- They could emote operatically and weep in the streets and threaten suicide.
Mid 18th century: formed irregularly from opera1, on the pattern of words such as dramatic.
Words that rhyme with operaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of operatic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.