Definition of ophiolite in English:
An igneous rock consisting largely of serpentine, believed to have been formed from the submarine eruption of oceanic crustal and upper mantle material.
- These felsic rocks are contemporaneous with or only slightly younger than rocks from the Guevgueli ophiolite.
- The Indus Suture Zone, also locally called the Sumdo Formation, contains the well-preserved Nidar ophiolite and the Zildat Ophiolitic Melange.
- If this model does survive those tests, it has important implications for the tectonic environment in which the Troodos ophiolite formed.
- Example sentences
- We agree with Leong that a complex basement composed of both ophiolitic and granitic crust underlies much of Sabah.
- The southsouthwestern boundary of the Indus Basin sediments is the shear zone of the Indus suture, with an ophiolitic melange exposed near Chilling.
- In addition, the Central Pontides include Late Mesozoic ophiolitic rocks and ‘Neotethyan’ melange.
Pronunciation: /ˌäfēəˈlitik/ /ˌōfē-/adjective
Definition of ophiolite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan