Definition of ophiolite in English:
An igneous rock consisting largely of serpentine, believed to have been formed from the submarine eruption of oceanic crustal and upper mantle material.
- These felsic rocks are contemporaneous with or only slightly younger than rocks from the Guevgueli ophiolite.
- The Indus Suture Zone, also locally called the Sumdo Formation, contains the well-preserved Nidar ophiolite and the Zildat Ophiolitic Melange.
- If this model does survive those tests, it has important implications for the tectonic environment in which the Troodos ophiolite formed.
- Example sentences
- We agree with Leong that a complex basement composed of both ophiolitic and granitic crust underlies much of Sabah.
- The southsouthwestern boundary of the Indus Basin sediments is the shear zone of the Indus suture, with an ophiolitic melange exposed near Chilling.
- In addition, the Central Pontides include Late Mesozoic ophiolitic rocks and ‘Neotethyan’ melange.
Pronunciation: /ˌäfēəˈlitik, ˌōfē-/adjective
Definition of ophiolite in:
- British & World English dictionary