Definition of opium poppy in English:
A Eurasian poppy with ornamental white, red, pink, or purple flowers. Its immature capsules yield a latex from which opium is obtained.
- Papaver somniferum, family Papaveraceae
- The opium poppy, like all poppies, requires rich moist soil, plentiful sunlight, and a clear area in which to grow.
- This resembles and smells like the latex of the opium poppy, but the plants are not related.
- At those meetings a consensus was achieved that called for the elimination of, or a significant reduction in, the illegal cultivation of coca, cannabis, and the opium poppy by the year 2008.
Definition of opium poppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan