Definition of opium poppy in English:
A Eurasian poppy with ornamental white, red, pink, or purple flowers. Its immature capsules yield a latex from which opium is obtained.
- Papaver somniferum, family Papaveraceae
- The opium poppy, like all poppies, requires rich moist soil, plentiful sunlight, and a clear area in which to grow.
- This resembles and smells like the latex of the opium poppy, but the plants are not related.
- At those meetings a consensus was achieved that called for the elimination of, or a significant reduction in, the illegal cultivation of coca, cannabis, and the opium poppy by the year 2008.
Definition of opium poppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.