Definition of opsonin in English:
An antibody or other substance that binds to foreign microorganisms or cells, making them more susceptible to phagocytosis.
- By some unknown process, Acupuncture raises levels of triglycerides, specific hormones, prostaglandins, white blood counts, gamma globulins, opsonins, and overall anti-body levels.
- In all infants, the spleen provides important protection against invading bacteria; it is also a source of opsonins and fixed-tissue macrophages, as well as antibody production.
- A mixture of opsonins adhere to the bacterium and facilitate ingestion by alveolar macrophages.
- Example sentences
- How did opsonic antibodies enhance alveolar macrophage effectiveness?
- One pool of GAS surface proteins induced antibodies that were both opsonic and potentially protective.
- Moreover, Lancefield's studies in 1959 showed that type-specific opsonic antibodies can persist for 10-20 years after a GAS infection in humans.
Definition of opsonin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan