Each of two or more forms of a compound that have the same structure but are mirror images of each other and typically differ in optical activity.
More example sentences
- A powerful tool to study the mechanism by which cholesterol modifies the function of ion channels is the substitution of endogenous cholesterol with its optical isomer, epicholesterol.
- An interesting observation was that Compound D is identical to Compound Q except that they are optical isomers.
- Its origins lie with Louis Pasteur's discovery of optical isomers.
optical isomerism noun
- More example sentences
- Optical isomerism occurs in other compounds such as transition metal complexes.
Definition of optical isomer in:
- The British & World English dictionary