- 1Hopeful and confident about the future: the optimistic mood of the sixties he was optimistic about the dealMore example sentences
- I'm optimistic that the future is going to turn out more successful than the past.
- Mentors encourage change by making others feel hopeful and optimistic about the future.
- But David Shenk is not so optimistic that collectively our culture can slow down.
- 1.1Involving an overestimate: previous estimates may be wildly optimisticMore example sentences
- An optimistic estimate would probably be a couple of hundred pounds.
- The most optimistic estimates predict less than half this number will actually turn out.
- George may very well have been justified in his optimistic estimate.
- More example sentences
- Rather optimistically, I tested the pump and filter combination on a weekend trip to British Columbia, where it worked perfectly.
- No one speaks optimistically about the near future.
- But, optimistically, she took the doctor's painkillers and went against his advice not to dance in the show.