Definition of optimize in English:
1Make the best or most effective use of (a situation, opportunity, or resource): to optimize viewing conditions, the microscope should be correctly adjusted
More example sentences
- Early identification of children at risk for reading failure optimizes the chances for effective intervention.
- These research priorities involve addressing poverty through the integrated development of rural and urban areas, optimising human resources and understanding the new economy.
- The plan was to optimise the resources of land, real estate, roads, and other utilities to streamline development.
1.1 Computing Rearrange or rewrite (data, software, etc.) to improve efficiency of retrieval or processing.
- A search engine optimizes the retrieval process by indexing.
- But this only affects a small part of the project, which you can optimize or even rewrite.
- The Swiss researchers have simply optimised the process, developing a demo programme than can crack Windows passwords more quickly.
- optimizer noun
- Example sentences
- You have to distinguish among optimizers.
- So the search engine optimizers have gone ahead to establish two websites - one for the regular users and another one specifically for the search engines.
- How do people make themselves into competent optimizers when institutions which had ensured that habits of optimization were not formed change and markets are put into place instead?
Early 19th century: from Latin optimus 'best' + -ize.
Definition of optimize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.