- 1Ostentatiously rich and luxurious or lavish: the opulent comfort of a limousineMore example sentences
- I bring this to his attention in the opulent comfort of the living room of his Holland Park house.
- This lavish, opulent approach - one might call it ‘good taste with good humour’ - is typical of her style.
- He relishes an opulent lifestyle with palatial homes in Europe and America, private jets, two yachts and a helicopter.
- 1.1Wealthy: his more opulent tenantsMore example sentences
- The wealth from oil enabled him to head an opulent and corrupt court.
- The town became an opulent centre of a powerful and prosperous state.
- More example sentences
- Dance is only one of several disciplines covered in Goldberg's opulently illustrated survey of the trends and accomplishments that have transformed the world's stages in the past 40 years.
- The nostalgia and tradition is reflected throughout the hotel, particularly in the opulently decorated rooms and suites, of which there are 300.
- Unlike the rest of the Convention Center, which was opulently modern, the Auditorium seemed like a picture out of the early 1960's.
mid 16th century (in the sense 'wealthy, affluent'): from Latin opulent- 'wealthy, splendid', from opes 'wealth'.