Definition of orange roughy in English:
1An edible roughy, much prized for its white flesh. Found in deep waters of temperate oceans worldwide, its reddish body turns orange after being exposed to air.
- Hoplostethus atlanticus, family Trachichthyidae
- Britain and France are set to clash in tense talks on Thursday, over the rules for catching deep sea species such as the orange roughy, the round-nosed grenadier and the leafscale gulper shark.
- One theory suggests that an increase in deep-sea fishing - of orange roughy in particular - has disturbed the giant-squid habitat.
- Commercial fishing around biologically rich seamounts has led to the collapse of some stocks, including the orange roughy, according to a report published by conservation organizations based in Europe.
1.1The flesh of the orange roughy as food.
- Dinner alternates nightly between fish, like seared orange roughy, and poultry, like chicken breast with polenta.
- Among Manning's favorite foods are salmon and orange roughy, which she eats four times a week, plus soy, spinach and green and black teas.
- As for the main course, the menu is long and ambitious, at least in terms of the types of fish available: halibut, salmon, orange roughy, and ahi tuna among others, all of which are grilled or pan-fried.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.