Definition of orange roughy in English:
1An edible roughy, much prized for its white flesh. Found in deep waters of temperate oceans worldwide, its reddish body turns orange after being exposed to air.
- Hoplostethus atlanticus, family Trachichthyidae
- Britain and France are set to clash in tense talks on Thursday, over the rules for catching deep sea species such as the orange roughy, the round-nosed grenadier and the leafscale gulper shark.
- One theory suggests that an increase in deep-sea fishing - of orange roughy in particular - has disturbed the giant-squid habitat.
- Commercial fishing around biologically rich seamounts has led to the collapse of some stocks, including the orange roughy, according to a report published by conservation organizations based in Europe.
1.1The flesh of the orange roughy as food.
- Dinner alternates nightly between fish, like seared orange roughy, and poultry, like chicken breast with polenta.
- Among Manning's favorite foods are salmon and orange roughy, which she eats four times a week, plus soy, spinach and green and black teas.
- As for the main course, the menu is long and ambitious, at least in terms of the types of fish available: halibut, salmon, orange roughy, and ahi tuna among others, all of which are grilled or pan-fried.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan