noun (plural oratories)
1A small chapel, especially for private worship.
[ Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French oratorie, from ecclesiastical Latin oratorium, based on Latin orare 'pray, speak']
- At the same time, the Filippine Order was spreading its wings, and oratories were set up in many cities in Roman Catholic countries.
- The oratories tended to have permanent officers under the direction of the rector of the local baptismal church.
- There are the remains of a number of oratories and some stone monuments that may be pre-Christian.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- The Oratorians have maintained Gregorian chant, polyphony, Latin, the whole nine yards, and it is usually packed for a Sunday high mass.
- One of my favorite short rules is the one John Henry Newman provided in 1856 for his fellow Oratorians in Birmingham.
- Privat de Molières studied at Oratorian schools in Aix, Marseilles, Arles and Angers.
Words that rhyme with oratoryexploratory, laboratory
1The art or practice of formal speaking in public.
- ‘By any standards public oratory is appalling’, claimed Donald Horne in The Lucky Country.
- There are various different schools of public oratory.
- Fred Turner was a gifted speaker, attracted to books and public oratory.
1.1Exaggerated, eloquent, or highly colored language: learned discussions degenerated into pompous oratory
More example sentences
- Crowds delighted in speeches filled with double talk ridiculing the pompous, bombastic oratory that characterized familiar memorial rituals.
- Although identified as a fierce partisan, he received high marks from members of both political parties for his hard work, reasonableness, and eloquent oratory.
- Each of these bands was headed by both a war leader and a civil leader, the former chosen because of his reputation as a warrior, and the later chosen because of his eloquent oratory.
Early 16th century: from Latin oratoria, feminine (used as a noun) of oratorius 'relating to an orator'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.