1 short for ordinal number.
- In 1907 he introduced special types of ordinals in an attempt to prove Cantor's continuum hypothesis.
- Having solved the open problem posed by Davenport on writing numbers as the sums of fifth powers, Conway began to become interested in infinite ordinals.
- In this latter book she presented a 30 page appendix on the theory of infinite cardinals and ordinals.
2 Christian Church , chiefly historical A service book, especially one with the forms of service used at ordinations.
- The report continues with a discussion of the various ministries of deacons, including the basis as expressed in the ordinal at ordination in a new trial liturgy in the Diocese of Salisbury.
1Relating to a thing’s position in a series: ordinal position of birth
More example sentences
- The answers were transformed to an ordinal scale with values from 0 to 6.
- The Mann-Whitney U test is appropriate when the independent variable has two levels and the dependent variable is measured on an ordinal scale.
- To account for this bias, we transformed the outcome variables to an ordinal scale with 5 categories.
1.1Relating to an ordinal number.
1.2 Biology Relating to a taxonomic order.
- The present study suggests that tube-foot morphology may be useful as a taxonomic character at the ordinal level.
- While all of the phyla but one were established during the Cambrian explosion, taxonomic increases during the Ordovician were manifest at lower taxonomic levels although ordinal level diversity doubled.
- Mammalian phylogenetics at the ordinal level remains one of the outstanding problems in systematics because of the lack of congruence between different data sets.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.