- Mr Cheetham, who is a student at Northumbria University, said he thought Mr Gormley's works would help to break down prejudices against modern art, featuring as they do ordinary people.
- An exhibition featuring the ordinary lives of Greenlanders and their arts and crafts came to Sofia for the first time on Tuesday.
- Rather, it featured the works of ordinary folk making their first venture into the arts world.
- What happened to me was not ordinary and average and commonplace and I reject any word that makes it appear so.
- This was another case of ordinary life being more interesting than it looked at first sight.
- Imagine on top of this that you wanted, in fact, to mount an argument as to what makes certain daguerreotypes exceptional and others merely ordinary.
- Should this be the case, an ordinary judge is not allowed to disregard the national legislation but is bound to refer it to the Constitutional Court.
- Murphy's model was to have senior judges and ordinary judges under the one umbrella.
- All the ordinary judges of the Supreme Court and the chief justice were educated in private schools.
noun (plural ordinaries)
- Luxurious style, fine craftsmanship, and authentic details elevate Aladdin Resort & Casino far above the ordinary.
- This being a Dreamworks disc, and a ‘Special Edition’ at that, you can bet on a collection of extra material that is a cut above the ordinary.
- Opulent style, fine craftsmanship, and authentic details elevate Paris Las Vegas far above the ordinary.
- Even so, between 1592 and 1595 Byrd published his three settings of the ordinary of the mass, the masses for three, four and five voices.
out of the ordinary
- Unusual: nothing out of the ordinary happenedMore example sentences
unusual, exceptional, remarkable, extraordinary, unexpected, surprising, unaccustomed, unfamiliar, abnormal, atypical, different, special, exciting, memorable, noteworthy, unique, singular, outstanding;unconventional, unorthodox, strange, peculiar, odd, queer, curious, bizarre, outlandishinformal offbeat
- It is really, really strange because I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.
- Nothing seemed unusual or out of the ordinary that morning, to her eyes, at least.
- This in itself is hardly out of the ordinary; in fact it is a common occurrence.
- Example sentences
- It's about the innocent ordinariness of the victims.
- Eventually, ordinariness takes over everything.
- So this stone was monumental in its very ordinariness.
Late Middle English: the noun partly via Old French; the adjective from Latin ordinarius 'orderly' (reinforced by French ordinaire), from ordo, ordin- 'order'.
Words that rhyme with ordinarysubordinary
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.