Definition of oriental poppy in English:
A southwestern Asian poppy with coarse, deeply cut, hairy leaves and large scarlet flowers with a black mark at the base of each petal, widely grown as a garden perennial.
- Papaver orientale, family Papaveraceae
- The oriental poppies we grow today are hybrids between two or three species from Turkey, the Caucasus and Iran.
- The packet described this as a perennial oriental poppy, more compact than normal and suitable for a small garden.
- They make good planting companions to the likes of climbing roses or border plants such as campanulas and oriental poppies.
Definition of oriental poppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.