Definition of oriental poppy in English:
A southwestern Asian poppy with coarse, deeply cut, hairy leaves and large scarlet flowers with a black mark at the base of each petal, widely grown as a garden perennial.
- Papaver orientale, family Papaveraceae
- The oriental poppies we grow today are hybrids between two or three species from Turkey, the Caucasus and Iran.
- The packet described this as a perennial oriental poppy, more compact than normal and suitable for a small garden.
- They make good planting companions to the likes of climbing roses or border plants such as campanulas and oriental poppies.
Definition of oriental poppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan