An aromatic plant of a genus that includes marjoram and oregano.
- Genus Origanum, family Labiatae
More example sentences
- Its flowers are the source of the famous Hymettus honey; and what is called ‘Spanish origanum oil’ is produced from it.
- He'd had to assure her that garlic and origanum were necessities, and avocado vinaigrette could add a delightful - and nourishing - touch to a meal.
- Italian oregano (Origanum X majoricum) is a hybrid resulting from crossing oregano and sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana).
Latin, from Greek origanon, perhaps from oros 'mountain' + ganos 'brightness'.
Definition of origanum in:
- The British & World English dictionary