Definition of orpine in English:
A purple-flowered Eurasian plant of the stonecrop family, a naturalized weed of North America.
- Sedum telephium, family Crassulaceae
- Other customs included decking the house (especially over the front door) with birch, fennel, St. John's wort, orpine, and white lilies.
- In England and Wales, St John's wort was suspended over doorways along with green birch, long fennel, orpine and white lilies, to guard against intruding malevolent entities.
- The Crassulaceae, or orpine family, is a family of dicotyledons.
Middle English: from Old French orpine, probably an alteration of orpiment, originally applied to a yellow-flowered sedum.
Definition of orpine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.