noun (plural orthoses /-ˌsēz/)Medicine
- 1.1A brace or other such device; orthotic.More example sentences
- There is widespread use of several semirigid orthoses made of cloth or plastic to prevent ankle sprains.
- In the orthosis group, nearly all patients reported using their orthosis for about 5.5 hours each day for six days of the week.
- It can be treated conservatively with an orthosis (support for the foot), rest and physiotherapy.
1950s: from Greek orthōsis 'making straight', from orthoun 'set straight'.
More definitions of orthosisDefinition of orthosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary