Any of several species of antelopes native to arid regions of Africa and Asia, having dark markings on the face and long, pointed horns.
- Genus Oryx, family Bovidae: several species, including the Arabian oryx (O. leucoryx) . See also gemsbok, scimitar oryx
More example sentences
- Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.
- His animals were the pig, the donkey, the hippopotamus, and the desert oryx.
- The once nearly extinct white oryx, an antelope, has been successfully reintroduced into the wild in Oman.
Definition of oryx in:
- The British & World English dictionary