- A poisonous pale yellow solid with a distinctive pungent smell, used in solution as a biological stain (especially for lipids) and fixative.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: OsO4
- The tissue is then placed for 8 to 10 days in a solution containing potassium chlorate, osmium tetroxide, formaldehyde, and glacial acetic acid.
- The cytoplasm of medullar cells, fixed in osmium tetroxide, stained more deeply with toluidine blue than that of cortical cells.
- Experts say a bomb with the chemical osmium tetroxide would have wiped out the first police and rescue workers on the scene.
More definitions of osmium tetroxideDefinition of osmium tetroxide in:
- The British & World English dictionary