Definition of osmoregulation in English:
The maintenance of constant osmotic pressure in the fluids of an organism by the control of water and salt concentrations.
- To understand osmoregulation of organisms in the real world, then, we must remember that organisms are more than bags of interesting molecules or vehicles for sets of genes.
- Individual cells can prevent water rushing into them by osmoregulation.
- In spite of these facts, little is known about the ionic mechanisms of osmoregulation in higher plant cells, and the data are controversial at times.
- Example sentences
- This hypothesis is the central issue discussed in the present review, along with the ontogeny of osmoregulatory mechanisms during the embryonic life.
- The osmoregulatory actions of growth hormone and prolactin are antagonistic.
- Green glands in the second antennae serve an osmoregulatory and excretory function.
Definition of osmoregulation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan