1 Biology & Chemistry A process by which molecules of a solvent tend to pass through a semipermeable membrane from a less concentrated solution into a more concentrated one, thus equalizing the concentrations on each side of the membrane.
- If a solution and solvent or two solutions of different strength are separated by a semi permeable membrane, osmosis can occur.
- Therefore, water tends to flow into the cell by osmosis, down its concentration gradient.
- By means of osmosis, the high concentration of sugar in the solution draws wastes, chemicals and extra water from the tiny blood vessels in your peritoneal membrane into the solution.
2The process of gradual or unconscious assimilation of ideas, knowledge, etc. what she knows of the blue-blood set she learned not through birthright, not even through wealth, but through osmosis
More example sentences
- Thomas maintained that she did not devour encyclopaedias for breakfast but picked up her knowledge by osmosis.
- The open office is a tremendous opportunity to share knowledge and learn by osmosis.
- I mean, I've got this theory that if you watch a lot of sport on television, by some sort of strange process of osmosis you think you play a lot of sport.
- Example sentences
- Home spa treatments are effective, and even taking a bath is great, since the osmotic effect of bath water helps draw out toxins.
- The osmotic potential is the amount of net movement that can occur when the solution is compared to pure water.
- This mechanism offers osmotic protection to the embryos until late in their development.
- Example sentences
- Obviously, a substantial part of amino acid uptake into Vicia seeds occurs passively and is osmotically controlled and driven by water influx.
- Nasal irrigation also may decrease mucosal inflammation osmotically.
- The left are everywhere, osmotically channeling their subversive energies into the pockets of mainstream liberalism.
Mid 19th century: Latinized form of earlier osmose, from Greek ōsmos 'a push'.
Words that rhyme with osmosisapotheosis, chlorosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, hypnosis, kenosis, meiosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, sclerosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.