noun (plural ospreys)
- Pandion haliaetus, the only member of the family Pandionidae
- But they're finding it difficult to get research support for their concerns about ospreys and sea eagles.
- The creek also is home to ospreys and great blue herons.
- Among the nearly 200 species found here are thicket tinamou, brown pelican, osprey, king vulture, and laughing gull.
late Middle English: from Old French ospres, apparently based on Latin ossifraga (mentioned by Pliny and identified with the lammergeier), from os 'bone' + frangere 'to break', probably because of the lammergeier's habit of dropping bones from a height to break them and reach the marrow.
Definition of osprey in:
- The British & World English dictionary