1Inflammation of the substance of a bone.
- Skeletal radiographs showed linear radiolucencies in the metaphyses of the long bones and lucent areas in the iliac bones, consistent with osteitis.
- The infection may extend to the cartilaginous skeleton of the ear canal and through Santorini's fissures to reach the temporal bone, causing osteitis.
- There were three major complications; two were due to infection causing osteitis and the other developed stenosis of the external ear canal.
1.1 (osteitis fibrosa cystica) another term for von Recklinghausen's disease (sense 2).
- These criteria included nephrolithiasis, osteitis fibrosa cystica, proximal muscle weakness, atrophy, hyperreflexia and gait disturbances.
- Excess PTH also can result in subperiosteal resorption, leading to osteitis fibrosa cystica with bone cysts and brown tumors of the long bones.
Mid 19th century: from Greek osteon 'bone' + -itis.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of osteitis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.