A large multinucleate bone cell that absorbs bone tissue during growth and healing.
- The rate at which cells called osteoclasts break down bone is slowed, and the production of new bone increases.
- Vitamin D indirectly stimulates osteoclasts to resorb bone and is necessary for the intestinal absorption of calcium.
- Note the presence of numerous osteoclasts lining the bone trabeculae.
- Example sentences
- Bone mineral density is determined by the homeostasis between osteoblastic bone formation and osteoclastic bone resorption.
- At the cellular level, there was decreased osteoblastic and increased osteoclastic activity.
- There is usually scant osteoblastic or osteoclastic activity, and often there is a marrow component with fat or hematopoietic elements.
Late 19th century: from osteo- 'bone' + Greek klastēs 'breaker'.
Definition of osteoclast in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.