adjectivePhysiology & Medicine
Resembling bone in appearance or structure.
- Fulcra at either end of columnal strongly divergent, giving columnal an osteoid appearance.
- None of the CF patients' undecalcified biopsy specimens in the present study demonstrated the osteoid parameters (excess osteoid surfaces and thick osteoid seams) characteristic of vitamin D deficiency osteomalacia.
- These compounds are incorporated into hydroxyapatite crystals that are deposited in an osteoid matrix during new bone formation.
nounPhysiology & Medicine
The unmineralized organic component of bone.
- The cancer cells produce a bony substance called osteoid, which builds up into lumps on the bone.
- Because of its rarity the diagnosis may not be considered, particularly if osteoid is sparse.
- Osteoid osteoma is a benign tumor containing osteoid in a stroma of loose vascular connective tissue.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of osteoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.