Definition of osteospermum in English:
noun (plural osteosperma-mə)
A plant or shrub of the daisy family, native to Africa and the Middle East, some varieties of which are cultivated for their yellow or violet flowers.
- Genus Osteospermum, family Compositae
- Daisies such as arcotis, erigerum, gazanias and osteospermums are terrific value, flowering for many months of summer.
- I love rudbeckias of all sizes, shastas similarly, colourful chrysanthemums and coreopsis, marguerites, ox-eyes, osteospermums; the list is almost endless.
- That does not, however, mean that I will stop bugging the local nurseries to stock the exotic osteospermum!
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek, osteo-, 'bone' + Greek, sperma, 'seed'.
Definition of osteospermum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.