noun (plural ostinatos or ostinati /-tē/)
- A continually repeated musical phrase or rhythm.More example sentences
- He exploits rock idioms, such as rapidly repeated chords, ostinato bass lines and syncopated rhythms, but with little variation of content.
- It is to be found in the basso ostinato, a repeated bass line over which a keyboard player or lutenist improvises chords and a singer or player evolves a melody.
- The jazzy, flowing first movement made way for a stunning allegro: pizzicato ostinati, Spanish dance rhythms, dramatic passion to the fore.
Italian, literally 'obstinate'.
More definitions of ostinatoDefinition of ostinato in:
- The British & World English dictionary