Definition of ostracoderm in English:
An extinct jawless fish of the Cambrian to Devonian periods, having a heavily armored body.
- Class Agnatha: several orders
- By the Middle Devonian the armoured jawless ostracoderms were in decline, and instead the jawed fish were undergoing a great evolutionary radiation in both the sea and in freshwater.
- With their armored head shield and trunk shield composed of overlapping bony plates, the placoderms appear at first glance extremely similar to the ostracoderms (armoured jawless fish).
- These were jawless, armored fish informally called ostracoderms, but more correctly placed in the taxon Pteraspidomorphi.
Definition of ostracoderm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan