Definition of ostracoderm in English:
An extinct jawless fish of the Cambrian to Devonian periods, having a heavily armored body.
- Class Agnatha: several orders
- By the Middle Devonian the armoured jawless ostracoderms were in decline, and instead the jawed fish were undergoing a great evolutionary radiation in both the sea and in freshwater.
- With their armored head shield and trunk shield composed of overlapping bony plates, the placoderms appear at first glance extremely similar to the ostracoderms (armoured jawless fish).
- These were jawless, armored fish informally called ostracoderms, but more correctly placed in the taxon Pteraspidomorphi.
Definition of ostracoderm in:
- British & World English dictionary