Definition of otolith in English:
Each of three small oval calcareous bodies in the inner ear of vertebrates, involved in sensing gravity and movement.
- The macular neuromast organs bear otoliths, as described above.
- Like the inner ear in humans, the otolith plays a role in hearing and balance.
- All of the identifiable teeth and otoliths from the samples were identified and depth ranges were assigned to each taxon based on the known depths of living counterparts.
- Example sentences
- Equally, head movements made in space, where gravitational acceleration is almost eliminated, will elicit sensations of turning from the canals, which are not matched by the normal otolithic signals.
- The apical processes of receptor cells in the macula project into a gelatinous mass, the otolithic membrane.
Definition of otolith in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan