1Before a legal hearing can take place: they are trying to settle the squabble out of court [as adjective]: an out-of-court settlement
More example sentences
- He threatened legal action but an out of court settlement was reached.
- One of the things the legal group has been working on is the encouragement of out of court settlements in legal disputes.
- Unfortunately, it was settled out of court and the settlement wasn't made public.
(Of a settlement) made or done without a court decision.
- Commentators have suggested that no drug company has yet lost a case in the British courts, although there have been some out-of-court settlements.
- Here are some actions you can take now that can help you keep your job in the event of unpleasantness, or at least do well in court or with an out-of-court settlement.
- They reached an out-of-court settlement, but I understand that they received compensation for their troubles?