Definition of ovenbird in English:
1A small tropical American bird belonging to a diverse family, many members of which make domed, ovenlike nests of mud.
- Family Furnariidae (the ovenbird family): many genera and numerous species. The ovenbird family comprises the horneros, miners,and many others
- Suboscines, which include flycatchers, ant-birds, woodcreepers, and ovenbirds, are now diverse in the New World, with about 1,100 species, nearly all of them in South America.
- Their closest relatives are the ovenbirds (family Furnariidae).
- Playing the louder calls on the ground increased visits by predators there, he found, but playing the relatively soft begging calls of ovenbirds from tree nests did not.
2A migratory brown North American warbler that builds a domed, ovenlike nest on the ground.
- Seiurus aurocapillus, subfamily Parulinae, family Emberizidae
- Some species of ovenbirds are migratory, others are sedentary.
- Research in Pennsylvania, New York, and Virginia shows that forest birds like the American redstart, hooded warbler, Kentucky warbler, worm-eating warbler, ovenbird, wood thrush, and veery are all vulnerable to deer overpopulation.
Definition of ovenbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan